Answers to Basic Pool Questions
What is it?
Cloudy water is a hazy, murky appearance that is caused by introduction of suspended particles that are invisible to the naked eye. A similar analogy would be the particles in air that cause smoke. These impurities are introduced to the water from a myriad of environmental sources, even bathers and source water. Particles can intensify and cause water to cloud due to improper water balance, low sanitizer levels and/or lack of routine oxidation, poor filtration or inadequate circulation.
To fix chemical causes of cloudy water:
- Test water to determine current chemistry conditions
- Add Lo 'N Slo® if pH is high
- Add BurnOut® 73 or BurnOut® 3 to oxidize contaminants
To fix equipment causes of cloudy water:
- Improper filtration is the largest cause of cloudy water
- Use Strip Kwik ® or Kleen It ® to clean dirty filter media
- Add Pool Juice™ 911, Natural Clarifier or Polysheen Blue® to enhance filtration
- Check pool returns and make sure they are angled properly
To prevent cloudy water:
- Add Pool Juice™ Phosphate Remover Weekly to your maintenance routine to improve clarity and reduce contaminants like phosphate
- Backwash filter when necessary
- Chemically clean filter every 4-6 weeks
- Replace filter media as directed
- Run pump at least 10-12 hours per day
- Maintain proper water balance
- Oxidize pool weekly to destroy contaminants
- Shock pool weekly to destroy contaminants*
*such as perspiration, suntan lotions, hair sprays, body oils, urine, pet dander, and cosmetics.
Do you have a problem that you don’t see listed?
Your local BioGuard Dealer can help you diagnose and solve your problem! Stop by with a water sample to get started.